[Newbies] Newbie stuck on page 43 of SBE getting syntax error trying to run SBEGame (Quinto)

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 19:39:21 UTC 2012

On 12-08-22 3:33 PM, dav0 wrote:
> Well, I am following the Book's tutorial, and I have a local workspace
> where I have written the entire application from scratch as outlined
> in the book, so yes, there is an expected error at this point, but I
> am expecting to see a "MessageNotUnderstood" error as the next step
> has me doing something to practice using the debugger - I don't think
> I'm supposed to be getting the syntax error I am getting.
>
> Another clue on this syntax error is that I can also see the blue game
> background displaying in what seems to be the correct location, and
> then the checkerboard is displaying too, but it was offset by around
> 50 pixels on both the x and y coordinates.  Chances are, whatever the
> syntax error is involves the placement of the checkerboard.
>
> At any rate, I guess I need to undo whatever I just did (loading the
> remote repository from the URL) so I can get back to diagnosing this
> issue and/or skipping this step and moving on to the next one.  Any
> idea how I can do this?
>
> Thanks again,
> Dave

OK, you've got everything in a Workspace. And there's a syntax error.

The first thing I would do is click the blue down arrow on the Workspace
and select "save contents to file...", which will put a file in your
image directory of the contents of the Workspace.
The next thing would be to quit without saving. Notice I said "without".
That will get rid off the code you just loaded from the Internet.
Then open your file of saved code, cut and paste it into a Workspace,
and resume looking for the syntax error.

HTH,

Chris