VNC Server on Box2

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Tue Sep 13 16:59:44 UTC 2005

Jason,

Here is what I ended up doing after talking to Radoslav and Jecel on
IRC. I setup tighvncserver and the minimal X setup to support it.
Here's what I did to get a working Squeak that I could connect and
disconnect from.

1.  Login to box2 with ssh.

2.  Run the server once to get the basic local configuration started:

 a. tightvncserver (it will ask you for a password to use and setup
~/.vnc/)

 b. (Note the display number it states when it starts, I think this will
vary depending on the user and how many other servers are running, but
I'm not sure.)

   tightvncserver -kill :1 (substitute the appropriate display number
for the 1 here)

3.  Now edit ~/.vnc/xstartup and add something like

    squeakvm ~/Squeak3.8-6665.image &

as the last line.

4.  Start the server again

    tightvncserver

At this point you should be able to connect from your workstation with

    xtightvnc box2.squeakfoundation.org:1  (again substitute the
appropriate display number)

It should then ask for your password and then you should be connected.
There is no WM so this is no frills but you can ask Squeak to fullscreen
itself and then other than the display delays it looks just like a local
Squeak.  You can close the window and the Squeak process keeps running
and you can reconnect at will.

This seems to do the job in my opinion.

Ken