[Cryptography Team] New Members

Steven Elkins sgelkins at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 04:10:16 UTC 2006

On 10/4/06, Robert Withers <reefedjib at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2006, at 7:44 PM, Steven Elkins wrote:

> >> Yes, could you?  I am not seeing it occur when I load SSL.
> >
> > Sorry, you'll have to tell me what information you'd like me to
> > provide.  I just ran through it again and saw the same thing.
>
> Very strange indeed.
>

> > 1.  Open a fresh 3.9g-7061 image.
>
> yes, completely fresh.
>
> > 2.  Resize the window for my little iBook.
>
> Powerbook here.
>
> > 3.  Open a FileList and load these packages in this order.
>
> Load in the same order
>

> > SSLCipherSuite subclass: #TLSNothing more expected
> > ->_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA
> >   instanceVariableNames: ''
> >   classVariableNames: ''
> >   poolDictionaries: ''
>
> I don't see this at all.  Is it printing to your Transcript?  I

No, they're little instances of SystemWindow with 'Syntax Error'
titles.  The progress bar stops.

> defined these by quoting the class  name and it seemed to be working
> on reload, thus:
>
> SSLCipherSuite subclass: #'TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA'
>         instanceVariableNames: ''
>         classVariableNames: ''
>         poolDictionaries: ''
>
> I suppose the most important question is does this prevent SSL from
> working for you?  If you get the green button form opened up...and
> then can open the SSL Workspace, you could try to load one of the
> https webpages.

No, the code doesn't load.

> > I suppose I can try it on other platforms and/or assemble an image
> > through X509 and put it somewhere.  Or answer whatever questions you
> > have.  I can't spend more time on it now but I'm glad to do so later.
>
> When you have the time.  Thanks for you help.

Well, I couldn't stop pounding my head against this wall.  I had
another idea after you mentioned quoting the symbol.  So...

1.  I extracted the snapshot/source.st file.

2.  I changed the class definition to quote the symbol.

3.  Filed it in and made it past the class definition.

4.  Bombed on the next expression (definition of hexCode on the class side).

!TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA class methodsFor: 'constants' stamp: ''!

TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DESNothing more expected ->_EDE_CBC_SHA class
methodsFor: 'constants' stamp: ''

5.  Changed it to...

!(Smalltalk at: #'TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA') class
methodsFor: 'constants' stamp: ''!

6.  Made it past the definition of hexCode, i.e., it's in the image.
Bombed on the next one, an instance method named bulkCipherAlgorithm.

TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DESNothing more expected ->_EDE_CBC_SHA methodsFor:
'accessing' stamp: ''

I'm stopping for tonight, no kidding.  :)  Funny it doesn't point to
exactly the same place as it does with the class definition.

> > Are you starting from the same image, using the same compiler?
>
> Yep.

I'll revisit the freshness of my image (later).  Yours seems to handle
underscores in class names much better than mine.  I see many
subclasses of SSLCipherSuite with names including underscores.

> > Am I the only person seeing this?
>
> That's a great question.

I have a vague memory of Ron Teitelbaum mentioning it but so far I've
failed to find it.

Thanks,
Steve