[Cryptography Team] Re: [ANN] Working SSL In Squeak

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Wed Oct 11 20:54:06 UTC 2006

Hans-Martin Mosner schrieb:

> I did not do any comparison because I did not yet download the DES
> plugin - just wanted to make this thing work in the unit tests before
> going to bed :-) I just added a very thin layer (mostly converting from
> ByteArrays to LargeIntegers and vice versa) to use my old code mostly
> unchanged. The performance can probably be improved a bit by changing
> that old code to directly work with ByteArrays.

Ok, I did some measurements. Results are pretty disappointing.
Squeak on my AMD 3800+ processor encrypts 32 KBytes using 3DES CBC mode
in about 8 seconds - unusable for anything but a proof-of-concept.
Therefore I think that DES (and maybe some other small cryptographic
primitives) should be part of the base VM.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin