[Cryptography Team] Re: [squeak-dev] Crypto RSAWithSHA1 sign

Rob Withers reefedjib at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 21:14:10 UTC 2010

Hey Chris,

I am interested in seeing Cryptography make it into the Trunk.  The idea put
forth by Andreas, I believe, was to separate Core algorithms from
Certificates.  The work Denis and myself did these past two days builds
dependencies between them (ASN1Stream support and PrivateKeyReader support).
If we continue to split them, I will move ASN1 and the reader to Core.

First issue: naming.  I really don't care which way we go.  Someone tell me
what name to give the packages.  I think this is a conversation you and
Andreas should have.

Second issue: To preserve the history, I believe the following must take
place: a) don't split core and Certificates, b) copy the entire chain of
Cryptography versions into the Trunk repository, effectively downgrading the
Cryptography repository to holding 1) plugin code package, 2) SSH, 3) SSL,
4) SMIME, 5) other stuff.  If we do split Certs from Core, and want to
preserve history, we will need to remove Certificates from Cryptography and
copy the Cryptography chain of versions to the Trunk repository.
Personally, I would like to see both Core and Certificates in the Trunk, as
it is not clear where to get Certificates otherwise.  This would preserve
the package Cryptography and we could move the history.  Someone make a
decision as to what goes into the Trunk and let me know.  If you decide what
should go then I would like immediate action so it doesn’t sit in the Inbox
for months.

Third issue:  I am unaware of the changes he has made.  If you can provide
me a changeset or mcz of his changes, I will integrate them into both
Cryptography and Crypto.

Cheers,
Rob