[Elections] A simple SqF board elections solution using SqP

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:10:20 CET 2006

On 1/9/06, Peter Crowther <Peter at ozzard.org> wrote:
> Where 'the right people' needs definition.
>[...]
>  We should also be sensitive to the perceived legitimacy of
> those elections.  They must be seen to be unbiased, otherwise the
> undercurrents that are still present in the community from the original
> formation of the power structure will remain or get stronger, with an
> increased tendency for the community to fragment.  Assuming we prefer
> the community to be as large and as cohesive as possible, this would be
> a poor result.

I agree there. Which is why I'm advocating to opt for the simplest way
we can come up with to have a transparent election system with the
lowest possible barrier of entry.

There have been a number of simple ideas floated on the list. The
Elections team can continue debating for another month, or start
deciding. It should be clear what my preference would be :-). Weeks
are ticking by, and I think it would be good if at the very least, the
team would set itself a schedule (decide/announce voting system by X,
registration until Y, voting from Y+1 to Z) and publish it.

BTW - if SqP is chosen, I'll give everyone on the Elections list ssh
access to SqP so anyone can monitor what's happening.