[Elections] Welcome New Elections Leader - Time to organize

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Fri Feb 1 00:18:25 UTC 2008

Hey Ken,

We had 2 weeks nomination, 2 weeks reminders to register, and 3 days voting.

> > Also we had a very difficult time getting people to step up and nominate
> > themselves for the board.  The period between nominations and voting was
> > almost completely silent except for my attempt to get candidates to
> answer
> > questions; I would consider that effort to not be worth the time.  Some
> > never answered any questions.  And very few questions were submitted by
> the
> > community.
> >
> > So I guess my suggestion would be a longer nomination period and voting
> > period and a shorter campaigning period.  But overall it would be nice
> if we
> > could still wrap it all up in just over a month.
>
> I also have no problems with these ideas.  I suggest frankly that, while
> the elections team itself probably needs to have a schedule it follows,
> that you not try to enforce on the community only as much of the
> schedule as is necessary.
>
> 1.  Early on the community needs to be reminded to get setup for the
> minimal voting requirements: SqP account, email address valid,
> certified.  And that this should be repeated in all communications
> related to voting.

I agree

> 2.  If the nominees are expected to participate, as a group, in any
> events prior to voting (such as a questionaire, or whatever) then they
> should be notified of some sort of deadline for nominations prior to
> these events but as late as possible.  Similarly I see no reason not to
> request nominations from the beginning and in every communication up to
> the point that nominations need to stop, if any.

I'm not sure what we can do since I spent a lot of time trying to solicit
questions last year, then when I finally just came up with questions I
thought were softballs, some of the candidates complained that I was biased
in some way.

It would be nice to have some event but what?  With what questions?  I was
thinking we would just skip this instead of trying again.  What do you
think?

> 3.  Obviously then there is the voting period itself which clearly must
> have a hard starting and stopping point.  Again I suggest that the
> information about this be communicated as soon as possible (so that
> anyone who gets email rarely has little excuse about not being warned)
> and as often as possible until the voting period has ended.

I agree.  I would think that 7 days would eliminate most problems.  We could
also send out daily reminders about voting during those 7 days.

So 3 weeks nomination, 1 week campaigning, 1 week voting sounds good to me.

That would be Nomination until Feb 22, campaigning till Feb 29 (Happy Leap
Year) Voting starts Saturday Morning March 1 at 10 am PDT, and ends Saturday
Morning March 8 at 10 am PDT.

Thoughs?

By the way did you make any progress on Password changing?

Ron