[Elections] Welcome New Elections Leader - Time to organize

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Feb 1 00:39:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 19:18 -0500, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> Hey Ken,

OK.

> > 2.  If the nominees are expected to participate, as a group, in any
> > events prior to voting (such as a questionaire, or whatever) then they
> > should be notified of some sort of deadline for nominations prior to
> > these events but as late as possible.  Similarly I see no reason not to
> > request nominations from the beginning and in every communication up to
> > the point that nominations need to stop, if any.
>
> I'm not sure what we can do since I spent a lot of time trying to solicit
> questions last year, then when I finally just came up with questions I
> thought were softballs, some of the candidates complained that I was biased
> in some way.
>
> It would be nice to have some event but what?  With what questions?  I was
> thinking we would just skip this instead of trying again.  What do you
> think?

I did say 'If'. ;)

I'm not sure any event is needed, but if the community has questions for
the nominees I think it makes sense for every one of them to be asked
the questions in a consistent format and have the same opportunity to
respond.

I guess what I'm saying is I suggest immediately querying the community
for questions that they want nominees to answer, perhaps collecting them
on a wiki page.  Then the elections team should have a reasonable period
of time to edit those and cull them down to a reasonable selection and
present them to the nominees.  The original page of questions should be
kept and nominees should be welcome to add any questions from that page
to the questionaire, say at the end, and answer them.  Similarly of
course the nominee should feel free to add their own questions and
answers to the form.  Of course they should be encouraged to answer all
of the questions in the original questionaire, but I see no reason to
forbid not answering some of them.

> > 3.  Obviously then there is the voting period itself which clearly must
> > have a hard starting and stopping point.  Again I suggest that the
> > information about this be communicated as soon as possible (so that
> > anyone who gets email rarely has little excuse about not being warned)
> > and as often as possible until the voting period has ended.
>
> I agree.  I would think that 7 days would eliminate most problems.  We could
> also send out daily reminders about voting during those 7 days.
>
> So 3 weeks nomination, 1 week campaigning, 1 week voting sounds good to me.
>
> That would be Nomination until Feb 22, campaigning till Feb 29 (Happy Leap
> Year) Voting starts Saturday Morning March 1 at 10 am PDT, and ends Saturday
> Morning March 8 at 10 am PDT.
>
> Thoughs?

That sounds fine to me.

> By the way did you make any progress on Password changing?

Yes, and no, I'm working on it but it is going rather more slowly than I
had hoped.  If you have received any more requests about password resets
by email, have them email me directly (either my personal email address
or the box-admins mailing list).  If I end up having to do any by hand
again, I need those original emails so I have some confidence that it is
the actual account holder requesting the reset.  If you would please go
ahead and have Laurance Rozier email me directly.

In fact if you send out an email regarding elections prior to the point
at which I say that the automated password reset mechanism is ready,
then instruct anyone who has misplaced their password to email
box-admins at lists.squeakfoundation.org with a password reset request
making sure to include their SqP account name in the email.

> Ron

Ken