[Elections] Welcome New Elections Leader - Time to organize

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Feb 1 16:32:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 21:29 -0500, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> > From: Ken Causey
> >
> > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 19:18 -0500, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> > > Hey Ken,

I suggest going through the motions on a questionaire anyway.  If the
community only comes through with two questions, then those are the two
questions the community would like the nominees to address, fine.  The
primary point is to give the community the opportunity, the result is in
some sense secondary.

Regarding an IRC event.  You're right, that could be fun, I've done one
or two before.  However, witness the current battle to find a time that
4 people (Edgar DeCleene, Matthew Fulmer, Keith Hodges, Colin Putney)
are going through to find a time that they can all meet and I think you
will find that any realtime event among a worldwide group is always
difficult and at best short of being complete (in terms of attendance).
Don't let that discourage you though, in my opinion it's the election
team's job to do a reasonable minimum of work to make these sorts of
things possible, really its the community's responsibility as a whole to
take advantage and the election team should accept any criticism and try
to accomodate it, but in the end it's just a matter of doing the best
job that just one or two people (the election team) can manage in their
spare time.

> > Yes, and no, I'm working on it but it is going rather more slowly than I
> > had hoped.  If you have received any more requests about password resets
> > by email, have them email me directly (either my personal email address
> > or the box-admins mailing list).  If I end up having to do any by hand
> > again, I need those original emails so I have some confidence that it is
> > the actual account holder requesting the reset.  If you would please go
> > ahead and have Laurance Rozier email me directly.
> >
> > In fact if you send out an email regarding elections prior to the point
> > at which I say that the automated password reset mechanism is ready,
> > then instruct anyone who has misplaced their password to email
> > box-admins at lists.squeakfoundation.org with a password reset request
> > making sure to include their SqP account name in the email.
>
> Terrific that sounds good.
>
> It would be nice if we could announce the election tomorrow.  It would be
> good to wait for Göran to read the emails approve and announce all this.
>
> Thanks Ken for all your work and for participating!

Sure.  I'm good with what I have heard so far.  If you don't mind I
would like an opportunity to proofread any official email you send out,
when there is time.  If nothing else a quick list of the points to be
covered would be good that way I can at least confirm that you are
covering what I think needs to be covered. ;)  In this case and in any
case if you will be working on something like an email where you would
like commentary/proofreading then I suggest that you just notify the
list as soon as possible so that those of us like myself that would like
the opportunity are aware that we may want to check email at times where
we don't tend to do so normally.

> Ron

Ken