[Elections] Filling Vacancy

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Mon Sep 22 20:48:41 UTC 2008

Yoshiki,

Could you submit the following to the Leadership Council and get an opinion
from the SFLC?  I'd like to submit this to the community if everyone
approves it in January.

Because it is a change to the Bylaws it will require a 2/3 vote and take 2
months to complete and since our election is in February I would suggest
that we leave the Vacancies, adopt these changes to the Bylaws in the next
regular election, and then we have a path forward if this happens in the
future.

I understand that we have not yet signed up with the Software Freedom
Conservancy but I would think that these Bylaws could be adopted by the
community and that they could be included in the Bylaws that we are
considering with the conservancy.

Everyone's thoughts suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks,
Ron Teitelbaum

1 Leadership Council

1.1 Powers. Subject to the limitations of the Articles and Bylaws, and
subject to the duties of directors as prescribed by the Bylaws, the business
and affairs of the Corporation shall be managed by and under the direction
of the Leadership Council. The Leadership council may exercise all powers of
the Corporation which are not specifically reserved to the Conservancy or
the Members by these Bylaws, including but not limited to the power to
select and remove all officers, agents, employees and contractors, and to
fix reasonable compensation therefor, to authorize and empower officers or
agents to enter into contracts and other commitments on behalf of the
Corporation, and to appoint and delegate responsibilities and authority to
committees, officers, and agents.

1.2 Duties. Each Leadership Council member of the Corporation, subject to
the Conversancy control as outlined in the Bylaws, shall supervise and
control the business and affairs of the Corporation. He or she may preside
over leadership meetings, take and maintain the minutes of leadership
meetings.  He or she shall have charge and custody of and be responsible for
the funds and securities of the Corporation within terms set by the
conservancy, may disburse funds when proper to do so, may receive and give
receipts for monies due and payable to the Corporation from any source
whatsoever, and deposit monies and other valuable effects in the name and to
the credit of the Corporation in such depositories as may be designated by
the Conservancy.

1.3 Number of Leadership Council Members. The minimum authorized number of
Leadership Council Members is four (4). The number of Leadership Council
Members to be elected annually is seven (7).  These numbers are subject to
change by a majority vote of the community.  Upon the removal, resignation
or death of more then three (3) of the originally elected Leadership Council
Members a new Election will be held.  Upon successfully electing new
Leadership Council Members the new members will serve for the reminder of
the term plus one full term, skipping the next regular election and serving
until the following scheduled election.

1.4. Election and Term. Each person named in the Articles of Incorporation
as a member of the Leadership Council shall hold office until the completion
of the annual election and until his or her successor shall have been
elected and qualified or until his or her earlier resignation, removal or
death.

The community shall elect Leadership Council Members annually to hold office
until the next succeeding annual election. Each council member shall hold
office for the term for which he or she is elected and until his or her
successor shall have been elected and qualified or until his or her earlier
resignation, removal or death.

1.5 Resignation and Removal of Leadership Council Members.  A Leadership
Council Member may resign at any time upon written request to the
Corporation. Furthermore, any council member or the entire Leadership
Council may be removed, with or without cause, by a vote of the majority of
the community entitled to vote for the election of the Leadership Council.

Leadership Council Members that miss more then 4 meetings shall be deemed to
have resigned their position unless an absence is excused by a two-third
(2/3) vote of a Quorum of the Leadership Council attending the meeting at
which the member is absent.

The Leadership Council should be allowed to remove one of its members by 2/3
vote of a quorum.  The person being asked to leave should be notified have
the opportunity to be heard by a meeting of the Leadership Council and to
voice their concerns to the community at least one (1) week prior to a vote.
The Leadership Council can vote for removal, sanctions, or some other form
of reprimand but once the vote is cast the results are final.

1.6 Vacancies. Any vacancy occurring in the Leadership Council may be filled
by the affirmative vote of a majority of the remaining council members with
a minimum of a majority of votes of originally elected Leadership Council
Members.  At least four (4) votes which make up a majority of seven (7)
elected members would be required in this example. A Leadership Council
Member elected to fill a vacancy shall hold office only until the next
election of directors by the members.

1.7 Time and Place of Meetings. Annual meetings of the Leadership Council
shall be held immediately following the annual election each year. Regular
meetings of the Leadership Council shall be held at such time and place as
may from time to time be approved by the Leadership Council. Special
meetings of the Leadership Council for any purpose or purposes may be called
at any time or place by two (2) or more of the Leadership Council Members
then in office. Notice of the time and place of each meeting of the Board of
Directors not fixed by an express provision of the Bylaws or by a standing
resolution of the Leadership Council shall be given to each Council Member
not less than two (2) days before the date of the meeting. Such notice may
be given personally or by telephone, telegraph, facsimile, electronic mail,
or first-class mail.

1.8 Participation by Telephone. The Leadership Council may permit any or all
directors to participate in a regular or special meeting by, or conduct the
meeting through, use of any means of communication by which all directors
participating may simultaneously hear each other during the meeting. A
director participating in a meeting by this means is deemed to be present in
person at the meeting.

1.9 Quorum. A majority of the full number of the Leadership Council shall
constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. The act, decision, or
vote of a majority of the directors present at a meeting at which a quorum
is present shall be the act of the Leadership Council unless a minimum
number of votes is required under these Bylaws for a particular action.

1.10 Action Without a Meeting. Any action required or permitted to be taken
at a meeting of the Board of Directors may be taken without a meeting if all
the members of the board consent in writing to such action. The action shall
be signed by each director and filed with the minutes of the proceedings of
the Board. Action taken hereunder is effective when the last director signs
the consent, unless the consent specifies an earlier or later effective
date. Such consent shall have the same effect as a unanimous vote.

1.11 Advisory Board. The Board of Directors may establish an Advisory Board
to be comprised of one or more individuals chosen by the Leadership Council
at its sole discretion. The Leadership Council shall not be bound by any
advice or decision of the Advisory Board. The members of the Advisory Board
shall not have the rights or privileges of the Leadership Council or members
as set forth in the Bylaws and shall have no power or authority over the
operation of the Corporation. A member of the Advisory Board may be removed
at any time by the Board of Directors, with or without cause.

1.12 Neither the Conservancy, nor the Leadership Council is empowered to
change the ByLaws of the Corporation.  Changes to the ByLaws require a
two-thirds vote of the community and must be considered for at least one (1)
month prior to a vote, the vote to be held open for one (1) month.