[Elections] Filling Vacancy

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Thu Sep 11 17:13:51 UTC 2008

Thanks Ron (and Goran),

I'm happy to wait for the Leadership (not comfortable with the name
either, but it's their name) to consider things before going to the
larger community.

I would like to suggest however that in the current situation it might
make more sense to do something reasonable to fill the Leadership sooner
than later and postpone the expectedly long discussion of the 'right'
thing to do in the future until afterwards.  I think it does need to be
discussed, but I think a lot of people may be dissatisfied with a two
week deadline.  I think everyone would be best served by the Election
Team/Leadership making the best decision they can for now to fill the
current vacancies, announcing it and apologizing for not having
previously taken the time to discuss it properly, and then opening the
discussion as to the right way to handle it in the future, with an
ultimate deadline of next year's election.

Of course if the SFLC bylaws already state a clear and required
mechanism then that changes things somewhat.  But it should still be
explained to the community and discussed, even if it is effectively
non-optional.

Speaking of which is there some reason such bylaws have not been made
publicly available to the community for consideration?

Ken