how can I try?

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 5 13:49:17 CET 2005

Chris Muller writes:
 > Congratulations Bryce on this great work (in progress), and thanks too.  The
 > idea of a significant speed increase "for free" is very exciting to me.  After
 > reading the pages at http://www.kampjes.demon.co.uk/ it's evident the
 > complexity involved to achieve this is staggering.

I've moved most of my current documentation over to the swiki. The
stuff on my homepage is rather dated now.

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/Exupery

There's instruction on both building using a premade VM and from
source.

 > I would like to get a whiff of it; I have some indexing stuff that spends most
 > of its time doing Integer (including LargePositiveInteger) arithmetic,
 > encapsulated into four or five methods.  I am very curious to run my test case
 > in an Exupery-loaded image.

If you tell me how to run the test easily in a profiler I could
have a look.

 > Does it work in Windoze at the moment?  Sorry, I did not find install /
 > operational details on the site.  I did load the SqueakSource version 113 but
 > did not see any improvement in 0 tinyBenchmarks so I didn't bother with my
 > indexing test..

Exupery only works on Linux/x86 at the moment. However a Windows
port should be fairly easy. With luck it would just involve building
an Exupery VM for windows. Without luck it would involve dealing
with a different C calling convention. Either way it should be the
one of the easiest ports. Any volunteers?

Using the latest from SqueakSource is very sensible but it will
require building a VM from source. I could throw a current prebuilt
VM up on the web though. Could you try this on Linux?

Bryce