Progress towards Exupery 0.12

bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Wed May 2 21:33:39 UTC 2007

bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk writes:
 > Sebastian Sastre writes:
 >  > Good job Bryce. I know that it's just too soon to say but do you have any
 >  > glimpse of the stability of an image running wit exupery? There is any
 >  > version that could be stable enough to try it in production or it is too
 >  > soon?
 >
 > Ask me closer to to the release.
 >
 > At the moment it can only compile in the background for a few minutes
 > then it runs into trouble. Just DNU's that can be fixed by
 > initializing Exupery.
 >
 > Are you interested in running it in production soon? I've not yet
 > decided how quickly to push for stability vs. other things. Closer
 > to the release it'll be easier to decide but interest does matter
 > too.

My goal for the next release is only to be able to run the background
compiler for an hour without crashing. I don't know how reliable that
will be in a production environment.

But it depends on what the constraints of the production environment
are. You can always restrict what Exupery will compile rather than
letting it compile everything. By restricting what it will be able
to compile you could use it now.

Compilation can be slow. There's a few performance bugs in the
register allocator that I mean to fix after the release. Compilation
can always be done in a low priority background thread so that might
not matter.

Bryce