Introducing Huemul

sig siguctua at gmail.com
Thu May 24 12:55:46 UTC 2007

Good! Your reply shows me that i may not vorry about this.

Then i would ask you about design of your VM architecture.
Its better to start from a clean view, that everything in VM could be
changed at some point.
And changed by programmer using smalltalk, not C or other external tools.
I mean, i want a truly flexible system.
I want to be able the smalltalk VM to rebuild self from scratch
(producing new VM executable) without using C complier/e.t.c.
And be able to change any low level primitives in running VM.
As example - let programmer to decide, how to tag smallintegers , with
0 or with 1 ,
and make this as easy as clicking a single button, just by changing a
single line of code in single place.
This will open a wide range perspective, how programmer can experiment
with VM, how he can add or change its core functionality and test it.
Another example - suppose we want to run our VM/image on different
platform. All we need is a hooks (like special binary format,
accessing to kernel function e.t.c), provided by that platform and
assembler support from Exupery to generate opcodes suitable for
platform CPU. The we generate a small bootstrap executable, which then
can be used for loading image in new platform, and providing a
bootstrapping mechanism for recompiling a core VM methods contained in
your image.
So, you can keep any low-level VM code in your image and be able to
run it anywhere without dependancy from external tools like C compiler
or linker e.t.c.