Introducing Huemul

Guillermo Adrián Molina guille at losmolina.com.ar
Wed May 23 04:13:55 UTC 2007

> great job.
Thank you very much.

> I'm just wondering, why its not a part of squeak :)

Well, that's Bryce job :-)
I mean. Exupery will be part of Squeak one day (a very important one).
But Exupery is facing with the fact that most Squeak's internals can't be
changed.
I have the ability to change what ever I want in Huemul. An example, Bryce
suggested 0 tagged SmallInts. I was using 1 tagged, changed that in a
week, then Huemul got faster. The fact is that I am really into learning
things. I didn't know how to implement 0 tagged int. Thanks to Klaus (a
member of this list), I was able to do it.
That kind of reaction is more difficult in Squeak.

> At some day i thought, why i want to reinvent the wheel, while there's
> already a good and working smalltalk implementation with reach set of
> projects/features.

I completely agree with you on this matters, I will try to make Huemul
compatible with most of them.

> And i decided to join squeak community, and asking you to do the same.
> You can benefit from others works, while doing your part.

Believe me, I use Squeak.
There is another thing. Huemul is a Linux X86-32 application. Squeak
images run without modification on lots of platforms. It would be very
difficult to do that with Huemul. I think the target is different.

> For example: i know a good guy 'gulik' on IRC who is already doing a
> namespaces. So better to help him, rather than implement own.
> And there's many other areas which intersects with your goals, like
> HTML, GUI, Dynamic class loading e.t.c.
> I think you just need to focus on narrow area - making a good and fast
> VM, and then just share your code with others and reuse their code for
> own matters.
> Don't think that i want to offend you in this way, i'm just thinking
> it would be better for you as well as for community.

Don't worry. I asked you for advise. Everybody is welcome.

Cheers, Guille