Introducing Huemul

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Thu May 24 14:02:26 UTC 2007

Sig, in general I agree with your position. The problem is costs to generate
independece from those external tools in an equalized proportion to our
communuty effort capability. How many optimizations the gcc are able to do?
Now.. how many smalltalkers has experience with compilers and can develop
the same degree of funcionality? How many of those can dedicate the hours
that it'll require? And don't misundertood me, I'm not beign pesisimistinc,
I'm beign realistic here. Until a .mzc with that compiler is available for
squeak maybe the use of gcc to produce the result is the way to materialize
results. It's 'changing the tire in a running car'. For sustainable projects
we can't 'stop the car'. Otherwise people will easily be demotivated and
efforts become quickly diluted.

cheers,

Sebastian