Integrating NetStreams into the official Squeak release

Craig Latta craig.latta at netjam.org
Mon Jul 29 21:28:01 UTC 2002

> That's wonderful news! Thanks!

	Sure! :)

> > I'm still hoping to get people using NetStreams via Flow 2a, and
> > then later just remove the old streams/sockets.
>
> Do you think there's a chance to get this into the 3.3a image?

	Certainly. Flow 2a and the old Stream hierarchy co-exist; people will
be able to use both. I'll actually be releasing two versions
concurrently: Flow 2a1, which installs into Squeak 3.2f images, and Flow
2a2, which installs into Squeak 3.3a (current) images.

> I think refactoring the image to remove all dependencies on the old
> Streams is a non-trivial task, and would be easier once Flow is
> incorporated into the official release.

	I agree, and I hope that's what happens.

> If you go to BlackHat, check out Maximilano Caceres' talk on
> "Syscall Proxying-Simulating Remote Execution". I have a Squeak
> implementation, with shellcodes for Linux and Open/Free/NetBSD (x86).
> It's part of a bigger project (my army of mobile agents). I'll
> release this soon, probably next month.

	Wow, neat!

	thanks again,

-C