Backups?

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue May 23 07:17:54 UTC 2006

Hi Chris and all!

Ok, we are getting closer to first test deployment of our app for a few
user groups and (since we may experience problems, like db corruption
(heaven forbid) or simply bugs in the app causing havoc) I want to make
extra sure that I have a good approach regarding backups.

Am I correct that since we now have fault tolerance I could essentially
just copy the db files to get a backup of the db - even though it will
not be transactionally correct? I mean - I can lose the ongoing txns,
but the copy should otherwise be able to recover and work, right?

Or do I need to make a shutdown in order to make sure I get a "proper"
backup?

regards, Göran