Backups?

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Tue May 23 17:32:00 UTC 2006

Hi Göran, the fault tolerance was designed from the ground up to handle
a sudden power outage.  Specifically, under the assumption that writes
to the various db files could be partially completed to any point in
time, but a common point in time between all files.

This is a different situation than copying on-line files because the
copy could take some time, even spanning multiple flushes (which are,
by default, every 5 seconds).  The former is a much easier scenario to
consider because, in the latter, the partially-written state of each
file is from a different time than all the other files.

I certainly would not risk it.  You should close the DB files before
doing a backup.

I have sketched out a plan for replication where on-line backup is a
nice side-effect.  But that might be a while so, until then, I would
definitely bring down the DB to do a backup.

 - Chris