Magma for 3.9

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 01:37:45 UTC 2006

Chris Muller wrote:
> I've just posted Magma for Squeak 3.9 (7057) on the MagmaTester project.

Cool Chris, and just when I was getting used to 3.8 ;-)

The logging is really helpful to learn how magma thinks. I am finding
tuning reading easier than stubbing out!

For example on my 700Mhz machine.

Obtaining a MagmaSession using a WAMagmaSession takes almost 10 seconds.
Whereas the WASharedMagmaSession does not have that overhead

Reading in the front pier page with some text in it.

minimumDepth: 0 takes 45 readGraph operations in: 3408ms
minimumDepth: 1 takes 45 readGraph operations in: 4973ms.

i.e. it appears that few of the extra reads generated by increasing
minimum depth are actually being used.

so now to some tuning...

Keith