Magma

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 05:52:18 UTC 2007

> == Faster? ==
>
> Where did you hear the new version is much faster?  Perhaps you are
> referring to Sig's new Dictionary's that sped things up?  That may be
> the case but I haven't had time to look at them yet.  Thanks to Sig,
> Magma now includes the ability to specify whatever
> WeakIdentityKeyDictionary you want (see MagmaPreferences), so you can
> try out some other Dictionary's but I can't promise I can support them
> (or a Magma implementation that uses them).

About preferences, I missed another type of dictionary which used as
well: WeakValueDictionary.
I think we need to put an option for choosing its class to
MagmaPreferences too. Or remove both. Want me to send you patch?
And btw, can you add me as dev to magma-tester repository, so i'll not
ask Keith every time i need to upload new snapshot. I registered as
'sig' on squeaksource.

> They need to be tested.  The first step would be to run the entire
> test suite with the replacement Dictionary(s).  If those pass then you
> can be pretty confident, but I would burn them in in a heavily-used
> test environment for a good month first.

I am totally agree with you that dictionaries need to be heavily
tested before put in use. Sadly i didn't have a time yet to test them
with Magma tester suite.
But instead, i tested them on Florian's real-world application , and
as you maybe know there was only single issue - they are too fast :) .
Something, running in parrallel going out of sync. After placing a
delay in #reject: all works fine. I'm still curious what you thinking
about it, what can interfere with dictionary or in what ways this can
be avoided (putting delay is not a solution of course).

I designed them mostly for use with magma (even though they can be a
good replacement of default dictionaries when you using #removeKey:
frequently).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.