Fwd: Magma

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Sat Sep 1 10:32:09 UTC 2007

Hi!

"Chris Muller" <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> First, you configure to run multiple MagmaClient sessions.  What you
> do is have each web session have its own MagmaSession view of the
> repository, and use ReadStrategy's and #stubOut: to keep only enough
> in memory for the current working web page.  This was proposed years
> ago here:
>
>  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5817
>
> and I think Brent may have successfully implemented the multi-image
> configuration described on that page under "Remote Connections".
> Goran and I have discussed it in the past, but I don't know whether he
> ever tried it in earnest.  If so, I hope he will comment about this.

Before summer we moved back to the above "default" approach and now
given Keith's work on getting proper readstrategies and other smart
tricks in place - we have approximately the same speed that we earlier
achieved by cheating through a shared session (for parts of Gjallar).

So the answer is that yes, Gjallar has always been running one
MagmaSession per Seaside session except that we did a detour through a
"shared session" for one particular UI (the one that shows a table of
lots of cases). But now we are back to the "clean" 1-per-1 approach.

[SNIP]
> 1) Partition your domain by its major categories and use
> MagmaForwardingProxy's to link to objects across repositories.  For
> more information:
>
>  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5604
>
> I think this is a smart thing to do from the beginning simply for
> organizational purposes, but it also helps performance by dividing up
> the server burden across multiple images/computers.
>
> This feature works and has been around for years, although I don't
> know anyone who has used it (because no one has ever asked about it).

We haven't considered it. We are busy getting Gjallar running in a
multi-Seaside + one Magma server image configuration at the moment.

regards, Göran