Magma and Magma on Pharo questions

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 16:19:27 UTC 2009

Hi,

> As I saw on the list there are people interested on a version of Magma
> running on Pharo. Even more now that the first release of Pharo is
> close. But how will this be handled.
> - It will be a fork (I hope not) living in a different repository.
> - Will the changes (like the code testing for each plataform to react
> accordingly, e.g. extensions to BlockContext should be extensions to
> BlockContext on Pharo and new Squeak) be merged in the official Magma.
> - Will you bless this new code (after running the test suite on your own
> hw/image/machine) or will be handled like the seasideHelper that never
> went to official Magma, at least as a separate package à la
> Collections-BTree-lr or WriteBarrier that are included in the official
> Magma.

A platform-adapter integrated into Magma could be used to delegate
platform-specific operations..  The individual platform subclasses
could even be their own separately-loadable package.  This approach
would allow a single code-base for all platforms, and would
(hopefully) be useful for making it VW-compatible..  I'm available for
support on the Magma side.  Any volunteers to do the actual work?

> etc) the integration of Magma with Seaside/Aida are very important for
> me. Because Pharo is intended as a real, strong and minimal platform for
> running Seaside apps, I think that Magma has a very big opportunity to
> be a real foundations.

Can you tell me some ideas you may have for the kinds of things you'd
like to see in a web-"integration" package for Magma?