Magma and Magma on Pharo questions

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 22:55:17 UTC 2009

El mar, 11-08-2009 a las 17:42 -0500, Chris Muller escribió:
> > To make it work with Seaside is a problem that I have not yet sorted out.  seasideHelper requires installing the package
>
> Hi Ramiro, I continue to be confused by statements like this..
>
> I am still unclear about what Magma needs to "work" with Seaside.  Our
> company is using Magma with Seaside just fine, no special
> helper-packages or anything.
>
> Do other persistence frameworks like Glorp or Goods have something
> that Magma is lacking to "work" and integrate better with Seaside?
>
> I am wondering whether the SeasideHelper package is confusing people
> more than helping.  Just to be clear, it is just one persons
> interpretation of a Seaside/Magma application framework.  There are
> limitless other ways to do it, I recommend approaching the problem
> from a fresh "nothing" perspective (e.g., just Magma and Seaside, no
> helper packages)..

The problem is that the only well documented way to integrat it is with
seasideHelper, and with squeak it worked really well indeed.
I have an idea of how to integrate plain magma with seaside but as the
several threads on Gjallar have documented, it is not as easy to do.

Do you have a tutorial or recommended way to integrate plain magma with
seaside. I mean, that considers points like:

- a magma session for each seaside session
- a pool of connections to magma to be used on demand for seaside
sessions
- an easy way to start the connection to magma on the webapp startup (we
all know that magma it is very slow to start connections and we can't
afford to open one on each seaside new session)

these are very valid concerns with a *new* user to magma and to
*seaside* that wants to use both in an app. I think that Keith's
seasideHelper has addressed those points, even if not in the better,
official, way.
Also, Göran has stated several times that Gjallar isn't/shouln't be used
as a reference to use magma with seaside.

So, we need to learn from some place the way to integrate magma with
seaside apart from seasideHelper.

Maybe I haven't searched enought the wiki, but I haven't found other
practical way to do this. Do you have an url I don't know of?

Thanks
--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx