[ANN] r44Beta1 (was: Error while committing: applied.images max file size??)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 21:37:33 UTC 2009

Thanks for the report Bart.  On July 8th, it appears I changed the
method MaRecoveryRecord>>#writeTo: to add a call to setToEnd, and this
would appear to be the cause of this file-growth problem.

The reason for the change was that a warm-backup could request an
earlier commit-log record in the current active commits.log file,
which would cause a reposition of the file-pointer.  I therefore made
it the responsibility of the process doing the writing to position to
its desired position just before writing, rather than assuming it
would be in the correct position (eof).

What I failed to remember at the time is that method is generic, being
also used for the before-images file (applied.images), which expects
to be writing always from the *beginning* of the file, not the end.
So my fix was put in at too low a level and inadvertently introduced
this new bad bug, sorry.

I've moved the fix to the proper place and released it as r44Beta1 on
the "MagmaTester" project of squeaksource.  I'm quite certain this
will fix the problem for you.  Would you please let me know if you
encounter any further problems?

 - Chris

PS - Shut down the db, you can then delete your old applied.images.