Trying to understand Magma performance

Bart Gauquie bart.gauquie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 07:30:47 UTC 2009

I'm using a magma session for each seaside session. The creation of the
magma session takes 2 - 3 seconds, which is fine.

So on each request i'm reusing an existing magma session.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/11/17 Bart Gauquie <bart.gauquie at gmail.com>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm experimenting with Magma. See at:
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/BkbagMagmaTesting/.
> > Its just a very simple app which has basically an orderedcollection of
> > todo's and an ordered collection of users. (each with 4 fields on it).
> > The transparancy of Magma, is something i like very much.
> > However, i'm also trying out the levels of performance Magma can offer.
> > If i add 50 todo's and 25 users and i print them in a seaside application
> it
> > takes about 350 msecs to render the page. If i render the same page with
> an
> > in memory version the same request takes about 10 msecs to render the
> page;
> > which is a 340 msec overhead in magma.
>
> Do you create a new magma session per request, or using already
> existing session?
> Opening a session normally takes some time, because of client/server
> handshaking, but once
> session is ready to go, i would expect better performane.
>
> > I have a 2.86 quadcore and i'm running locally 2 images. One with the
> > database server in it; one with the seaside client application. The
> client
> > application creates one magma mession for each seaside session.
> > To my opinion, 340 msecs not at all that great a performance. But I'm not
> > sure what i can expect of the magma performance, and if i have configured
> it
> > correctly. Is this kind of overhead normal? Because if i read the
> > http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5606 performance page, i find that under
> > Remote baseline (loopback address to same computer = no network latency),
> > following timings:
> > readTests
> > peakRefreshRate : 78.6898342320751 per second.
> > singleObjectRead : 280.8315010993404 per second.
> > oneThousandElementArrayRead : 19.93620414673046 per second.
> > oneThousandElementArrayOfObjectsRead : 9.98629332289015 per second.
> > oneMillionObjectPointersRead : 0.278357689631176 per second.
> > oneThousandLevelsDeepRead : 8.30860534124629 per second.
> > are a lot faster than the ones i'm experiencing.
> >
> > In attachment you find where the app is spending time in in the tally i
> > performed on a request.
> > The most time is spent in
> >   |237 ProcessorScheduler class>>idleProcess
> > I suppose that this is time the client is waiting for the server: is it
> > normal that 2/3 of the time is server time,
> > I've already tried some of the readstrategies, described at:
> > http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2638, but that did not help.
> > I've also tried on a ubuntu linux machine, and on a windows machine, both
> > display the same level of performance.
> > Thanks in advance for any advice.
> > Kind regards,
> > Bart

> --
> Best regards,
> [...]

imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere -
Albert Einstein
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing
is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. - Albert
Einstein
Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love. - Albert Einstein