Trying to understand Magma performance

Brent Pinkney brent at zamail.co.za
Wed Nov 18 11:59:14 UTC 2009

> > > application creates one magma mession for each seaside session.
> > > To my opinion, 340 msecs not at all that great a performance. But I'm not
> > > sure what i can expect of the magma performance, and if i have configured
> > > correctly. Is this kind of overhead normal? Because if i read the
> > > http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5606 performance page, i find that under
> > > ... are a lot faster than the ones i'm experiencing.

Weuse Magma exentivly and get the performance you are expecting.
Magma read performance is heavily influenced by the read strategy, which is how
*deep* into and object tree gets returned whenever an object is agitated.

Set the read strategy for your application to ensure that the correct depth of object
is returned. Otherwise only the original agitatd object is returned in the buffer
with proxies in each instance variable. Agitating any variable will result in a separate
read request.

--
Brent