magma with Pharo

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Wed Sep 9 06:06:44 UTC 2009

Since I ran into trouble with the squeak 3.10 image, I figured I'd try
pharo.  I had some trouble following the instructions, and thought it
would be useful to report things that held me up.  This might suggest
changes to the documentation.

Getting pharo running wasn't entirely smooth, though that's mostly a
pharo, not magma issue.  Some of their instructions are a bit off, and
the image wouldn't run with the VM I had.  After downloading their VM
(on Linux) I got it going, using the full
http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/23087/pharo1.0-10440-BETAdev09.09.1.zip image.  It was unclear whether I should get updates after starting the image; I did.

Now to the magma install instructions
(http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657).  This time I tried using
Monticello:

Step 1.
"Make sure you have Monticello Configurations working (see Monticello
Configurations in 3.9)."
The instructions on the first link (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6058)
say "select World Menu | open... | Monticello Configurations".  The
pharo menus are not arranged that way.  I did Tools | More | Monticello
configurations.  Once it opened, blank, I thought I was supposed to load
or test something (wiki 6058 goes on "To load an existing configuration,
select the configuration from Monticellos repository browser") in the
window that I just opened.  The link to MC Configurations in 3.9 says to
install 2 files (in a 3.9 image); I figured I already had it, so did
nothing.

So I think I could have skipped the whole MC Configurations thing, which
is what I did (except it took awhile to guess that was the right move).

Step 2.
I went to the MC browser and clicked on +Repository, selected http, and
edited the dialog to match what page 2657 said.  However, no packages
appeared at the bottom of my package list (left hand pane of MC
browser).  I opened the repository and found r42final.  Then I spent
some time wondering if this had the test suite in it, and looking at
some versions that had Magma Tester in the name.  The description on the
installation page says
"Magma" houses prior "stable" releases of Magma in each of its three
configurations (Client, Server and Tester). "MagmaTester" houses the
prior stable releases as well as the current development release.
This made me think there would be separate files for each configuration.
I looked at the r42final component list, saw the tester in there, and
installed it.

BTW, http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657 in this section has steps 1 and
2 followed by steps 1 and 2.

Finally, I want to run the test suite.  OSProcess does not show up in
MC, and Pharo doesn't seem to have a package universe tool. The package
developer advised using squeaksource, but that doesn't seem to have
worked either (the pharo list has the gory details).

Ross Boylan