magma with Pharo

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 15:20:48 UTC 2009

Hi again,

> Now to the magma install instructions
> (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657).  This time I tried using
> Monticello:
>
> Step 1.
> "Make sure you have Monticello Configurations working (see Monticello
> Configurations in 3.9)."
> The instructions on the first link (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6058)
> say "select World Menu | open... | Monticello Configurations".  The
> pharo menus are not arranged that way.  I did Tools | More | Monticello
> configurations.  Once it opened, blank, I thought I was supposed to load
> or test something (wiki 6058 goes on "To load an existing configuration,
> select the configuration from Monticellos repository browser") in the
> window that I just opened.  The link to MC Configurations in 3.9 says to
> install 2 files (in a 3.9 image); I figured I already had it, so did
> nothing.
>
> So I think I could have skipped the whole MC Configurations thing, which
> is what I did (except it took awhile to guess that was the right move).

Right, MC Configurations was completely broken in 3.9 and has caused
many repetitious discussions about the subject...  :-(

> Finally, I want to run the test suite.  OSProcess does not show up in
> MC, and Pharo doesn't seem to have a package universe tool. The

I was able to install OSProcess into the Pharo image in each of the
following ways:

  1) installing directly from squeaksource
  2) downloading the .sar from SqueakMap, finding in a file-browser
and installing the sar.  THEN, fixing the problem in the
initialization code that occurs in the Pharo image.  Therefore, #1 is
an easier way to install, but I did get this to work.

I've made updates to all of the documentaiton pages to address all of
these concerns.

Thanks,
  Chris