two, hopefully, small issues

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 20:37:52 UTC 2011

>> The halt is there on purpose because it is a long-standing bug with
>> Avi's original WriteBarrier that, when it occurs, will need to be
>> closely looked at at that point in the code.  It could only possibly
>> happen when changing the class-definition of a class with instances
>> behind WB, so it probably wouldn't happen in prod (presumably, your
>> tests would catch it anyway, right?  :).
>
> It did happen in development, and I expect it to happen often, because I do
> change class definitions while instances of a class behind WB exists. That
> is exactly what I like in smalltalk - programming the system in runtime, and
> I am not going to stop doing that. To kill all the instances I would have to
> clean Seaside seasons and run GC. So it's not a minor thing for me.

Sheesh, c'mon Milan, you don't need to tell me that.  You would just
not use WriteBarrier in development if the problem affects you..  If
it doesn't, great.

> So what do I do about it?
> You say it's a long-standing bug with original Avi's code
> - do you know what was the bug about?
> - do you know if the problem exists with the new WB?
> - maybe I can look into it, even though so far I didn't notice any problems,
> I just removed the "halt"

I dug up my old correspondence with Avi and forwarded it to this list.
 Please have a look and if it is no longer a problem or you have a
solution, please post it to Magma Inbox and I'd be happy to integrate
it.

> - I can just switch the WB off like it used to be in Magma 1.2

Yes, absolutely.

> I see. It's up to you. The above bothers me more. Just know that
> PointerFinder is deprecated and I guess is going to be removed.

It's not up to me -- it's up to you.  I delivered enough Pharo patches
so that all Magma 1.3 tests pass in Pharo 1.3.  It's now time for the
Pharo community to demonstrate its interest in Magma by cleaning up
these fringe issues for themselves.  I gave Magma a new
platform-independent package structure to make this easier.