two, hopefully, small issues

Milan Mimica milan.mimica at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 18:01:34 UTC 2011

On 12 December 2011 17:10, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> The halt is there on purpose because it is a long-standing bug with
> Avi's original WriteBarrier that, when it occurs, will need to be
> closely looked at at that point in the code.  It could only possibly
> happen when changing the class-definition of a class with instances
> behind WB, so it probably wouldn't happen in prod (presumably, your
> tests would catch it anyway, right?  :).

It did happen in development, and I expect it to happen often, because I do
change class definitions while instances of a class behind WB exists. That
is exactly what I like in smalltalk - programming the system in runtime,
and I am not going to stop doing that. To kill all the instances I would
have to clean Seaside seasons and run GC. So it's not a minor thing for me.
So what do I do about it?
You say it's a long-standing bug with original Avi's code
- do you know what was the bug about?
- do you know if the problem exists with the new WB?
- maybe I can look into it, even though so far I didn't notice any
problems, I just removed the "halt"
- I can just switch the WB off like it used to be in Magma 1.2

> For PointerFinder, I didn't look at your patch, but wouldn't you need
> to put the correct code in the -Pharo platform package?  I'm fine to
> move the PointerFinder reference to the -Squeak package if necessary.
> People of Pharo, please let me know!

I see. It's up to you. The above bothers me more. Just know that
PointerFinder is deprecated and I guess is going to be removed.

--
Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net