[ANN] Magma 1.4

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Mon Dec 31 00:25:42 UTC 2012

Hey!

On 12/31/2012 01:09 AM, Chris Muller wrote:
> Hi Göran, thanks for the note.
>
>> Just note - if by "newer solutions for persistence" you are somehow perhaps
>> referring to my blog post on Oak - I am not at all representative of the
>> "Pharo community". I have no clue what "they" are focused on. My reasons for
>
> Ah well you are a prominent, influential member of whichever community
> you do work for because of your great work, accomplishments and
> charisma.  Nevertheless, it was not just your Oak post but also recent
> discussions in Pharo about persistence did not mention Magma at all.

Well, thanks for all those big words! I hardly see myself like that.
Anyway, there are many options these days and "neglect" of Magma might
be due to other reasons (I don't really know, just guessing):

-  Is Magma available as a Metacello config? I think lots of Pharooners
are "expecting" this these days.

- The fact that Magma doesn't stand on top of any external "trusted"
technology like say MySQL or some NoSQL db etc might also be conceived
as a negative.

In my own book this last part also has some truth. I want to stand on
someone's shoulders. :)

> I kept Magma up with Pharo up to 1.4 but now it is not converted to
> the new FileDirectory replacement in 2.0.  Maybe it wouldn't be hard,
> I don't have time to do it right now.

Right.

>> pursuing Oak instead of say Magma, is based on my own personal interests in
>> NoSQL etc, and has nothing to do with Pharo.
>>
>> The reason for me using Pharo instead of Squeak is actually simply based on
>> the fact that those libraries I need for the work I am doing - runs in
>> Pharo.
>>
>> I wish Magma all the best since I love OODBs and your work on Magma is
>> immense. Btw, do we have some kind of generic "benchmark" code that we could
>> play around with?
>
> Mm, not generic but I'm sure you could adapt MagmaBenchmarker to
> something more generic.  It's included when you install the Magma
> Server 1.4 package from SqueakMap into Squeak 1.4.

Ok, interesting. Oh well, time, time... :)

>> I think Magma would benefit strongly from showing the community what it is
>> capable of! :)
>
> Mmm, I wouldn't know.  I've no idea what it takes to "sell" software
> these days.  I had always hoped that simply making it great and
> supporting it well would lead to success but now I'm at the point
> where I wish to consume Magma as a means to other goals than sell it.
>   :)   But I will always keep it generic and support anyone who wants
> to use it, of course.

I know, it's a hard game.

Anyway, I appreciate your work a lot and who knows, I might use it yet
again some day. :)

regards, Göran