[ANN] Magma 1.4

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 00:09:18 UTC 2012

Hi Göran, thanks for the note.

> Just note - if by "newer solutions for persistence" you are somehow perhaps
> referring to my blog post on Oak - I am not at all representative of the
> "Pharo community". I have no clue what "they" are focused on. My reasons for

Ah well you are a prominent, influential member of whichever community
you do work for because of your great work, accomplishments and
charisma.  Nevertheless, it was not just your Oak post but also recent
discussions in Pharo about persistence did not mention Magma at all.

I kept Magma up with Pharo up to 1.4 but now it is not converted to
the new FileDirectory replacement in 2.0.  Maybe it wouldn't be hard,
I don't have time to do it right now.

> pursuing Oak instead of say Magma, is based on my own personal interests in
> NoSQL etc, and has nothing to do with Pharo.
>
> The reason for me using Pharo instead of Squeak is actually simply based on
> the fact that those libraries I need for the work I am doing - runs in
> Pharo.
>
> I wish Magma all the best since I love OODBs and your work on Magma is
> immense. Btw, do we have some kind of generic "benchmark" code that we could
> play around with?

Mm, not generic but I'm sure you could adapt MagmaBenchmarker to
something more generic.  It's included when you install the Magma
Server 1.4 package from SqueakMap into Squeak 1.4.

> I think Magma would benefit strongly from showing the community what it is
> capable of! :)

Mmm, I wouldn't know.  I've no idea what it takes to "sell" software
these days.  I had always hoped that simply making it great and
supporting it well would lead to success but now I'm at the point
where I wish to consume Magma as a means to other goals than sell it.
 :)   But I will always keep it generic and support anyone who wants
to use it, of course.