[Pkg] Monticello Updates

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 16:43:50 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Matthew Fulmer <tapplek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 07:49:20AM -0400, Rob Rothwell wrote:
> >    Hello,
> >
> >    I have been watching all the recent Monticello updates flying by and
> have
> >    been wondering if I should be trying to keep up!
> >
> >    I did for a while, but seemed to do something wrong and broke
> Monticello
> >    so that I could not save any code at all.
> >
> >    Anyway, some advice on how "up to date" I should try to stay (and how
> >    do so) would be appreciated...
>
> Monticello loading is very fragile. In general, the only way to
> reliably install Monticello is to use the LevelPlayingField
> script:
> http://installer.pbwiki.org/LevelPlayingField
>
> The actual script to install monticello is this:
> http://installer.pbwiki.org/LevelPlayingField-Monticello15

I was instead doing something like:

Installer sake addPackage: 'Monticello15'; install.

Notice how it actually loads Monticello twice: first from a
> file-out, then from a .mcz package. This works around the
> fragilities of loading Monticello using Monticello. It is a
> bootstrapping problem.

Thanks...is it "safe" to run the LevelPlayingField script multiple times in
the same image, or should you "start over" when you need to do this?

And finally, how often would you recommend doing this with something as
important as Monticello?

Rob