[Pkg] Monticello Updates

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 17:44:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:43:50PM -0400, Rob Rothwell wrote:
>    On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Matthew Fulmer <tapplek at gmail.com>
>    wrote:
>
>      On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 07:49:20AM -0400, Rob Rothwell wrote:
>      >    Hello,
>      >
>      >    I have been watching all the recent Monticello updates flying by
>      and have
>      >    been wondering if I should be trying to keep up!
>      >
>      >    I did for a while, but seemed to do something wrong and broke
>      Monticello
>      >    so that I could not save any code at all.
>      >
>      >    Anyway, some advice on how "up to date" I should try to stay (and
>      how to
>      >    do so) would be appreciated...
>
>      Monticello loading is very fragile. In general, the only way to
>      reliably install Monticello is to use the LevelPlayingField
>      script:
>      http://installer.pbwiki.org/LevelPlayingField
>
>      The actual script to install monticello is this:
>      http://installer.pbwiki.org/LevelPlayingField-Monticello15
>
>    I was instead doing something like:
>
>    Installer sake addPackage: 'Monticello15'; install.
>
>      Notice how it actually loads Monticello twice: first from a
>      file-out, then from a .mcz package. This works around the
>      fragilities of loading Monticello using Monticello. It is a
>      bootstrapping problem.
>
>    Thanks...is it "safe" to run the LevelPlayingField script multiple times
>    in the same image, or should you "start over" when you need to do this?

Yes it is. We make sure of it. Just yesterday, I fixed a bug
that caused this not to be true (Monticello.impl-mtf.533)

>    And finally, how often would you recommend doing this with something as
>    important as Monticello?

LPF is supposed to be completely stable. Unstable changes to
Monticello are not enabled in LPF. I am making unstable changes
to Monticello to enable working atomic loading, but this is not
enabled in the Monticello you get from either LPF,
Sake/Packages, or SqueakSource.

I use the latest MC at all times, so I get hurt if I break it.