[Seaside-dev] Date>>daysInMonth:forYear: versus Month>>daysInMonth:forYear:

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 20:20:19 UTC 2007

2007/9/10, Michael Lucas-Smith <mlucas-smith at cincom.com>:
> Hi seaside-dev,
>
> I've been removing the Squeak clashes with VW so that hopefully
> ObjectStudio8 will also be able to use Seaside. Pretty much everything
> works, there aren't many conflicts that are unreasonable - however, I've
> hit one today that really is a problem.
>
> The method daysInMonth:forYear: in Squeak assumes the month parameter is
> a monthIndex. In VW it assumes the parameter is a monthName.
>
> The Month class comes from Squeak, so it's been implement to take either
> an monthIndex or a monthName. I want to avoid doing an override of the
> VW base - there's only one place in base Seaside that explicitly calls
> this on Date instead of Month - that's in WADateInput. WADateSelector
> specifically calls it on Month.
>
> Could we have a porting convention where daysInMonth:forYear: is only
> ever called on Month instead of Date?

I don't think the current behavior of sending the same message to two
different classes and expecting the same behavior makes any sense. So
we should settle either for Month or Date. Having that said there are
more dialects to take care of than VisualWorks and Squeak. How is the
situation on Gemstone? If it doesn't matter for them and you'd prefer
Month then I'd say we go for Month else for SeasidePlatformSupport :(

WAMiniCalendar is probably the worst you can get in terms chronology
portability.

And oh, tests would be welcomed :)