[Seaside-dev] Seaside2.8a1-jmt.480

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 13:46:47 UTC 2007

Hi

First, thanks for your contribution. As far as I can see
Seaside2.8a1-jmt.480 consists mainly of two changes: WAHtmlEncoder
class >> #encode:on: and the merging of Seaside2.8a1-mb.420.

WAHtmlEncoder class >> #encode:on:
This is not needed because in xhtml only <, &, and " need escaping.
Other characters never need any entity escaping if you use the correct
character set and encoding. Using named entity references makes a
character unnecessarily use up more bytes. All the comparisons make
the escaping much slower and escaping is a hotspot. Seaside spends a
considerable amount of time there. This is one of the rare cases where
there is a real world measurable speed difference between #do: and
#to:do:.

Seaside2.8a1-mb.420 has been rejected for the following reasons:
- It makes changes that are only useful for SeasideTesting
- It introduces several changes made by Keith that were reject and are
now part of Seaside Jetsam

SeasideTesting has a history of breaking for every SeasideRelease and
a long time until it was fixed. If we had full SeasideTesting test
cases for all the functional tests things might look different. In
general we would prefer a testing framework like Albatros that does
not require any changes to client code.

So I fear we have to reject Seaside2.8a1-jmt.480 as a whole but don't
let this stop you from future contributions.