[Seaside-dev] Seaside 2.8 on Dolphin (work in progress)

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 17:28:51 UTC 2007

2007/9/24, Esteban A. Maringolo <emaringolo at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working in the port of 2.8 (version 486) to Dolphin X6.
>
> So far it is going well, with exception of some details I'll mention below.
>
> Tests: 1 failure, 2 errors.
>
> * WAPlatformTest>testDisplayString (failure)
>   The failure is with the #displayString of nil, which in Dolphin is
> an empty string, whereas #printString answer 'nil'. To me, it is OK in
> how Dolphin handles the display/print approach.

That shouldn't be too serious the important one in #encodeOn: (famous
last words). Actually #displayString returning 'nil' and #encodeOn:
doing nothing is pretty inconsistent.

> * WAEnconderTest>testEncodedUnicode (error)
> Dolphin has poor support of Unicode, so this will fail, constraining
> Seaside on Dolphin to not support Unicode.

I'm not sure sever adapters on non-Squeak platforms do Unicode anyway.
I mean decoding multiple utf-8 bytes into one Smalltalk character.

> * WAPlatformTest>testDaysInMonthForYear (error)
>  Dolphin doesn't have Chronology, then it doesn't have Month class.

That should only break WADateInput and WADateSelector but nothing else.

> I'm having a more severe problem with WAProcessMonitor, a problem had
> before, when porting 2.6, but for some reason, it's not working this
> time.

This truly horrible class is only needed for the 'terminate' link in
the development toolbar.