[Seaside-dev] #beAwareOfChangeOf:with:from: in WADispatcher

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 20:05:19 UTC 2008

#beAwareOfChangeOf:with:from: and friends make heavy use of
#addDependents:, #removeDependents:, #update: and #changed:.
Unfortunately calling these methods is not portable across the
plattforms Seaside is supposed to run on. GemStone for example adds
some empty methods to catch these method calls without an error.

Yesterday I moved up the configuration from WAApplication to
WAEntryPoint, so that other kind of entry-points can take advantage of
the configuration framework. As the tests show this dependency code is
broken now.

I know that this code was added for VisualWorks. As far as I remember
it is used to synchronize different dispatcher instances. If I
understand the code in Seaside 2.8 correctly, it is not possible to
work meaningful in Squeak as some parts are missing. I wonder if we
could remove or at least rethink this functionality for Seaside 2.9?
It adds a significant amount of code and complexity to WAApplication.

What do you think?

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch