[Seaside-dev] debugging Scriptaculous from Smalltalk

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemstone.com
Fri Feb 22 22:02:07 UTC 2008

Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> Yes, this is a problem, because there are some cases where there is no
>> way to reliably communicate the error to the web browser. What Squeak
>> tries to do in this case is to open up a debugger in the image
>> (#callback: in SURequest and SUEvaluator), but it does not necessarily
>> work in other cases. Normally SUUpdater and subclasses
>> (SUAutocompleter, SUInplaceEditor) should somehow show an error
>> message, however the web browser might decide not display the response
>> (due to some JavaScript logic, style-sheets that are applied, etc.).
>> In this cases it usually helps to have a closer look at the response
>> in FireBug.
>>
>> Lukas

Would there be any harm to wrapping SUAjax>>process with an Error
handler (ala SURequest) and shunt the exception off to a SUErrorHandler
that could do something Scriptaculous specific, since right now errors
for SUUpdater are handled by the Seaside errorHandler which is trying to
put up a web page...

If there aren't any gotchas that you know of, I will play around with
adding something like SUErrorHandler and see if it helps...

Thanks,