[Seaside-dev] debugging Scriptaculous from Smalltalk

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 08:06:07 UTC 2008

> Would there be any harm to wrapping SUAjax>>process with an Error
>  handler (ala SURequest) and shunt the exception off to a SUErrorHandler
>  that could do something Scriptaculous specific, since right now errors
>  for SUUpdater are handled by the Seaside errorHandler which is trying to
>  put up a web page...

SURequest catches the error and opens a debugger. SUAjax already
passes the error to the normal error handler.

The problem in the error handler is that you don't know what the
JavaScript code is doing with your response. SURequest for example
does not even wait for a response. SUEvaluator expects JavaScript
code. SUUpdater and friends expect some XHTML fragment to be inserted
somewhere into the DOM.

One idea that could work, would be to make sure that all ErrorHandler
set a propre HTTP response error status code (as far as I know this is
not done). Then the "patched" JavaScript side could show this problem
for example using an alert box.

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch