[Seaside-dev] Seaside application with HTTPS

Christopher Schuster cs at livoris.de
Mon Jul 6 13:20:18 UTC 2009

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> 2009/7/6 Christopher Schuster <cs at livoris.de>:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I want to use my Seaside application with http and https simultaneously.
>
> You use Seaside 2.9, right?

Yes. And I really like the new Seaside control panel.

>> Alternatively, "isSSL" can be an instance variable in WARequest.
>
> I would prefer this option over having multiple subclasses.

Alright, I will use a scheme instance variable then. Is this specific to
my application or should it be committed to Seaside?

>> (I am
>> using AJP to enable SSL and it's no problem to set this variable
>> depending on the AJPRequest.)
>
> Yeah, it's easy with AJP. I'm wondering what we should do for Apache
> frontend case, look at x-forwarded-for?

The header "X-Forwarded-For" exposes the IP addresses and not the
original protocol. In my opinion there are at least two different ways
with apache:

 - Rewrite HTML links with mod_proxy_html [1]
 - Add custom headers with mod_headers [2]

Too bad that there is no standard for this header.

BTW: it would be possible to circumvent this problem if all html links
were relative.

Cheers,
Christopher

[1] http://apache.webthing.com/mod_proxy_html/