[Seaside-dev] Relation of Platform Package(s) to Sport Package(s)

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Fri May 8 07:09:20 UTC 2009

2009/5/7 Udo Schneider <Udo.Schneider at homeaddress.de>:
> All,
>
> after doing some work to polish up Dolphin's Unicode Support I (re-)started
> the Seaside Port to Dolphin.
>
> While loading the packages I came accross some Squeak Platform Packages
> (which I'd re-implement for Dolphin) and Sport "Platform" Packages as well.
>
> So what's the relation between these?

The Sport Platform is a partial implementation of the Seaside Platform
using SPort. Partial because SPort covers only a fraction of the
functionality that we need. If you already have SPort, want to use it
and it happens to have the same semantics as on Squeak (this is a lot
of ifs) then you can use it. It saves you from reimplementing the
methods that can be implemented using SPort.

> Do I need to port the Sport packages
> or is this just an alternative "Plafform". Due to the fact that I ported the
> new Sport
> packages anyway to get a recent Swazoo package being based on Sport would be
> no additinal work ... but is it worth it?

I'm really disappointed with SPort and don't see it as a viable option
for Seaside. The issues have been outlined on swazoo-devel with no
resolution in sight.