[Seaside-dev] WAPlatformTest problems in GemStone

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sat May 9 19:50:43 UTC 2009

2009/5/5 James Foster <Smalltalk at jgfoster.net>:
> All,
>
> #'testSeasideIntegerOnCharacter' requires WAGenericCodec, which is provided
> by Seaside-Squeak-Platform. Is it a requirement that all implementations
> support UTF8, or can we move this test to Seaside-Tests-Squeak-Platform?
>
> #'testSeasideString' requires 15.25 seasideString to return '15.25'. In
> GemStone we return '1.5250000000000000E+01'. Will there be places that
> expect the string representation of a Float to be in non-exponent format?
> Could we change the test to ensure that the result is a String that can be
> converted back to a number with the same value?

Since nobody else seems to have an opinion on this, here's mine:

At first my reasoning was "No, it doesn't matter if you want to
control the formatting then use WAPrinter".

However the reason why we have these ugly #seaside selectors is that
we can get rid of the small (pun) inconsistencies across dialects like
this one without causing any conflicts. So unless there is a technical
reason why can't answer '15.25' I'd prefer it if you would answer
'15.25'. This would certainly also help the people developing on
Squeak and deploying on GemStone. And we'd need that behavior for
WAPrinter anyway.