[Seaside-dev] Prototype and script.aculo.us frameworks in Seaside 2.9

Conrad Taylor conradwt at gmail.com
Sat May 16 11:46:24 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 3:30 AM, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yes, this sounds doable to me because I really don't want to be loading
> > un-needing components.  Seaside provide a mechanism to automatically
> > generate the API when these components are included in the head tag?
> > For example, if a new stable release is published with a new and/or
> > modified API, would these new additions be added to Seaside's interface
> > for this component?
>
> What are you referring to as "Component"? The Javascript classes found
> in Prototype and script.aculo.us libraries? If so, then yes.
>
> As soon as new versions of these libraries are released I usually
> update the Smalltalk bindings within a few days. This is not an
> automated process though, I have to work through the changes and
> update the bindings manually. For the JQuery packages I have a script
> that downloads and parses the documentation and automatically
> generates the required code. I don't know if Prototype and
> script.aculo.us are still maintained these days, there were no big
> releases for a very long time.

Lukas, it seems that there's some life within the Prototype community:

http://www.prototypejs.org/2009/3/27/prototype-1-6-1-rc2-ie8-compatibility-element-storage-and-bug-fixes

However, you're correct in regards to not knowing if the
script.aculo.usproject is being maintained
because there haven't been a release since November 18, 2008.  However,
there seems to be activity
in the Google group:

http://groups.google.com/group/prototype-scriptaculous

In regards to Javascript, I started to learn jQuery after taking a tutorial
session at Railsconf 2009 which
emphasizes the use of unobtrusive Javascript
technique (i.e. separating Javascript from HTML structure).
Thus, I feel creating an API for a Javascript may be overkill in this regard
when one would simply include
the required librar( y | ies) within the <head> tag and include the required
Javascript within the <script> tag.
Also, I use a similar rule for CSS by eliminating all styling from the HTML
structure.

> > It would be great if I can click a Seaside component and select update
> > without
> > destroying the image.  At time time, I was informed that I would need to
> use
> > an
> > image that doesn't have Seaside in it.  It's like creating a new document
> > each time
> > you add a new paragraph to it.  Will this be resolved in the future?
>
> This is not really a problem of Seaside, but rather of Smalltalk and
> the way how code is loaded and packaged. While Seaside is still in
> alpha phase we rename packages and move classes around. Loading such
> changes in the right order is very hard, without that you end up with
> many obsolete classes and broken objects.

Yes, I'm sorry because I did mean Smalltalk and thanks for correcting me.

> As Seaside 2.9 becomes more stable, updating should become easier.
> There are also at least two projects that try to solve with the issues
> of loading, updating and uninstalling code in a running system.
>
> I think that generally it is a good practice if you package code so
> that it can be cleanly loaded into a new image. This also makes the
> deployment much easier. Some people even advocate to create a new and
> clean image every day, while this certainly has its advantages it is
> also sort of a lame excuse that it is not possible to easily update
> that have many dependencies ;-)

I'm have my fingers crossed that someday this will happen for Smalltalk.

-Conrad