[Seaside-dev] Failing tests - WAPlatformTest>>#testReadWriteStream*

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Tue Sep 1 20:17:59 UTC 2009

Julian & John,

We have had three failing tests in Pharo for some time and I believe
that they were introduced by the following:

Seaside-Tests-Platform-jf.83
Add tests for stream methods #position and #position: (defined by
ANSI) and #upToEnd (not defined by ANSI).

Seaside-Tests-Platform-jok.84
Add platform tests for the stream answered by WAPlatform current
readWriteStream.

Some time ago we discussed the possibility of avoiding #position and
#position: because GemStone has a (pre-ANSI) one-based implementation
of streams (the position is the index of the next element rather than
the count consumed). I believe that other protocol ought to be
adequate for most uses (#atEnd, #skip:, #peek, etc). If we find we
need position-based access that relies on the actual value, then we
should go to a seaside-based name for the method.

Note that the only Seaside use of #position and #position: that I
could find is safe (JSJsonParser>>#match:).

Could we remove the two erroring tests?

One test is failing, WAPlatformTest>>testReadWriteStreamNextPutAll.
Could you confirm that the test accurately describes the expected ANSI
behavior, and if so flag it as an expected failure (or submit a fix to
Pharo)?

James