[Seaside-dev] Mason for Seaside 3.0?

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemstone.com
Fri Sep 11 18:40:32 UTC 2009

Lukas,

As I work through the Metacello config for Seaside 3.0, I have defined the following groups:

    #('Platform' 'Core' 'Canvas' 'Session' 'Component' 'RenderLoop' 'Tools'
    'Widgets' 'Environment' 'Functional Tests' 'Continuations' 'Flow' 'WebTools'
    'Development' 'Examples' 'AdminTools' 'RSS' 'Javascript' 'JQuery' 'Prototype'
    'Scriptaculous' 'HTML5', 'InternetExplorer' 'Email' 'Comanche' 'Comet')

which correspond to the various test points in the LoadOrderTests package.

With Metacello, it is possible to run a linear set of tests where each group is loaded one after the other and after loading each group it would be possible to run tests. When I finish up the Metacello config, I'll provide a script that performs the same sorts of tests that the LoadOrderTest package runs today.

With Metacello, it is also possible to load any one of the groups individually and  then run tests, but to do so would require launching a fresh image 27 times (not to mention the different combinations) ... which is where I assume that Mason comes into play.

Canvas, Session and Component (to name a few) are independent of each other, but because they are loaded in a certain order, code dependencies could very easily be masked ...

Anyway, I haven't looked at Mason in detail and was wondering if there might be anything required beyond providing the above groupings...