[Seaside-dev] Mason for Seaside 3.0?

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemstone.com
Fri Sep 11 19:20:54 UTC 2009

----- "Colin Putney" <cputney at wiresong.ca> wrote:

| On 11-Sep-09, at 11:40 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
|
| > Anyway, I haven't looked at Mason in detail and was wondering if
| > there might be anything required beyond providing the above
| > groupings...
|
| Lukas was playing with Mason a bit at ESUG and ran into this same
| issue - given a list of packages, how do you get Mason to load the
| latest versions into an image? Right now there isn't any built-in
| support for that, but it's a pretty straightforward addition. The
| thing to do is write a Product that takes the list and figures out
| what the correct targets are. (Products are a new addition to Mason,
| so there aren't many of them written yet.)
|
| Right now I'm working on a Product that figures out the packages based
| on MC dependencies. If no one beats me to it, I'll do this lastest-
| version-of-the-packages Product next.

The Metacello config that I am currently building for Seaside3.0 just takes the package base names (not the MC file names) and the Metacello dependency info to load the latest version of each package ... This is 'default' version. It is also possible to created versions in Metacello with the fully qualified MC file name which is used to record a particular release configuration.

Metacello has a mechanism for declaring package to package dependencies so it doesn't rely on "MC dependencies".

| BTW, I took a look at Metacello with an eye toward a Mason product
| that loads a Metacello release into an image, but got a bit confused
| as to how to accomplish that without pillaging the internal state of
| Metacello specs. I was hoping to tap your brain one of these days.

There are a couple of different routes that can be taken, so we should put our heads together on this one...