[Seaside-dev] P2P CMS/PM system with SeaSide and TeaTime

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 06:10:23 UTC 2011

2011/1/11 Aran Dunkley <aran at organicdesign.co.nz>:
> Hi, I'm part of a development team who are helping an organisation to
> architect a free CMS based project-management system that they want to
> work in a P2P network rather than using a centralised web-server.

Why?

> We've researched existing CMS's such as Plone to see if they could be
> modified to operate on top of a DHT but found that they rely too heavily
> on querying methodologies that are incompatible with the P2P paradigm.
>
> I talked to the OpenCobalt developers and they were very positive about
> the feasibility of the idea and gave me a lot of good advice and links
> to check out including Seaside which seems like it could the ideal
> technology to build our system in.
>
> We have a specific application in mind that we'd like to develop which
> is a project-management/workflow environment running in a CMS with some
> other standard tools such as wiki/blog, but rather than a web-server
> we'd be using a local P2P app as the backend. I'm wondering what you
> guys, the Seaside developers think of the idea of extracting the TeaTime
> P2P aspect of OpenCobalt and running Seaside on it so we could build P2P
> browser-based applications?
>
> We have a good budget available for this and will be developing it as a
> completely free open source system, so we'd also like to hear from
> developers who may be interested in working on the project too.

I didn't get which part would be browser based and which part would be
P2P. Would the user still use a web browser to make HTTP requests to a
centralized web server and expect HTML back and just the backend would
be P2P? Or would the user need a proprietary P2P client that makes
requests to a DHT?