Squeak and Seaside, FYI (was Re: [Seaside-dev] GRPackage class >> packages)

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 05:46:57 UTC 2015

Hi Tobias,

> Ok, given you have installed the
> Current metacello (https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work)
> then
>
> Metacello new
>         configuration: 'Seaside3';
>         repository: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
>         version: #stable;
>         load: 'OneClick'.
>
> Will give you a clean Seaside 3.1.4.2 in Squeak 5.0.
> (I just tested that)

Wonderful, thank you.

While I think Seaside is a framework which really benefits by the
power of Metacello (multi-platform, etc.), it seems to continue to
face challenges in meeting all the catalog requirements.

Like, right here, right now, I have my learning-seaside.image, with
Seaside-3.1.2 loaded, and I would like to load (or, preferably, _merge_,
because my studious activities have caused a few dirty packages) the
packages of this 3.1.4.2 release of Seaside.  But, as I tried to do:

Metacello new
        configuration: 'Seaside3';
        repository:
'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
        version: '3.1.4.2';
        load: 'OneClick'.

I get an error:

      'Vversion '3.1.4.2' is not defined in ConfigurationOfSseaside3.
Possible versions include #(#bleedingEdge #development #release3..."

So I guess there can be an advantage to not using symbolic version
names -- because if someone told me, "3.1.4.2 is the new stable version" and
I were to install "#stable," I might erroneously think I
got 3.1.4.2 loaded even though I didn't (!), because I first needed to
load the "latest Metacello" in order to get the latest definitions.

Unfortunately, the upgrade of Metacello doesn't succeed.  The
installation instructions for Metacello at
https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work fails the 2nd time with:

     MetacelloCommonMCSpecLoader DNU: #loadPackageDirective:gofer:.

The simple SqueakMap procedures enjoy a property of idempotence,
something that must be expected of system configuration scripts, and
Metacello must master, if Seaside is to meet all of the catalog
requirements.

> This will install OmniBrowser for the SeasideControlPanel.
>
> I have an alternative one written in ToolBuilder for Squeak, so we no longer
> depend on OB for just the SCP.
>
> HOWEVER, WebClient-Seaside assumes the SCP to be present.
> I have to break that up to make that more modular.
>
> Gimme some time there ;)
>
> I'll test with 3.2 as soon as I get around to do that.

Okay, thank you!  I have direct need for JQAjax>>#callback:json: right
now, but is not introduced until 3.2.

Best,
  Chris